Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Speech

The campaign was finished and Obama immediately stepped into the massive role of being the President of the United States at this moment in time. He acknowledged the difficulties, he immediately reached out to McCain, he even reminded us all of the progressive foundation of the Republican Party. I sat watching the speech thinking, "we did it" and I felt it. I have never felt so invested in a political campaign and never felt more committed to the idea that "we" are the government. I thought the most important thing he said tonight, of course, was that this election was not the change, it was only the opportunity to work for the change. Now for the next step (cheesy, I know...)

It was a blast blogging with everyone tonight. Please keep coming back and lets keep the energy and discussion rolling as we start finding solutions to the challenges at hand.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well done Peter, and yes, let's keep the thread going (and make me a contributor mate ;-). It was great to reconnect through such an electric moment (and nice to meet you all). I have to get used to feeling, as you said very well, invested in a process again. I'm amused that it truly has been a six to eight year hiatus where I cared and wanted to contribute. The context of tonight made me realize how politically alienated I suspect many of us had become. Thanks Big O for making us believe.

And it was a magnificent speech in tenor and delivery. Maybe I was listening for something in particular, but what will stick with me from this great snapshot of what's to come is Obama saying "and I'll listen, especially to those who disagree with me", and that it's time to reach out and "build alliances again". I can't tell you how much I miss that approach.

One down minor chord: with about 29% of the precincts reporting, Prop 8 is not fairing well (52.2% are Y on this). I'm a bit surprised. If you take them as a whole, voters are generous, maybe to a fault. But not here, even in CA.

I'll keep you posted.